Critical Thinking

The ability to think critically is imperative. We are living in a time where information is more accessible than ever. We have the ability to search for anything our heart desires at the click of a button. The amount of content that can be found on most subjects relevant to our day to day life is sometimes overwhelming. It us up to us to discern what information is useful so we can form our own authentic thoughts.

The “Health and Wellness” industry is a billion-dollar industry that primarily profits on women’s insecurities. To make matters worse, there is no industry standard and anything flies. The amount of information available in regard to the health and wellness industry is what prompted me to take the  Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association (AFLCA) certification. I am passionate about fitness and didn’t know where to start with all of the content available and wasn’t sure how to get started. I wanted to create a safe and effective workout program for myself. There are a variety of ways to exercise to achieve and maintain a healthy life style. I tried spin, Zumba, dance, HIIT, group classes, barre, weight lifting, TRX, home videos, aquafit and boot camp to name a few. The endless amount of ways move your body paired with a slew of “nutrition programs” and fad diets had me overwhelmed. I chose the AFLCA certification because it’s credibility. This certification is an asset for careers related to health and wellness within the municipal governments in Alberta.

The information I learned during this course gave me confidence when sourcing articles and information to start create workout programs (6.1). The more experience I had working through the programs I created, the more I was able to refine them to find what worked the best for myself. In time, I started to develop programs for my friends. I learned that there is no one set way to get results in an exercise regimen. I also learned that the most successful program is the one that is enjoyable because that is the one that will be adhered to. I find spending time in the gym to be the most enjoyable. That is what lead me to create training programs.

In the yoga teacher training I completed, we were given a variety of tools to use to deepen our practice and assist in others. Though there are a variety of options available to modify all positions, it is up to me to use my judgement to assess what is best for myself or someone I am helping. This is integral to ensure the safety of everyone. Through the refinement of my practice, much like developing programs for weight training, I’ve continued to learn what feels the best for myself and what might feel nice for others. I believe that our it is our experience that lends us the ability to lead from a place of authenticity.

I grew up going to Anglican youth groups, conferences and retreats. My experience with the Anglican church has been a positive one. My time at CFL opened my eyes to see how different various faith practices, even in the same religion, could be. This sparked my curiosity to learn more. My yoga practice has been the vessel to start engaging in my own spiritual development. I read and analyze a variety of texts (3.1) from different traditions and time periods to familiarize myself with more ideologies between “God”, oneself and the purpose of life. I keep in mind the times that they were written and what was happening during the time that may influence the writing. These texts include translations of the Ramayana, the Bhagavad Gita, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, the principle Upanishads, the Tao Te Ching, various sutras and documentaries. I utilize these texts to give insight in my practice and views on life. I have learned to analyze these texts from an objective point of view before coming to my own perspective on the content. For example, the Bhagavad Gita was written around 600 BCE. This was during the rise of Buddhism and many Brahmin men believed the only way to attain enlightenment was through renunciation. This meant leaving their families and responsibilities behind. Another translation of “Dharma” is duty. A central message of the Gita is that for one to obtain enlightenment, one must do their duty. I think it is important external factors such as history and societal values in mind when forming an opinion.